Thursday, November 12, 2015

GABBY REVIEWS SHIZ - PURPOSE & MADE IN THE AM

I'm like hey, what's up, hello. I am here today to review the albums Made in the AM (by One Direction) and Purpose (by Justin Bieber). Usually I live-tweet when new music comes out but since there are two albums to be reviewed, my poor little Twitter followers wouldn't be able to handle all of what I'm trying to say. So, here we are. I got the deluxe versions of both albums, which I highly recommend. I'm rating these songs on the classic "1CHAIN'S SCALE OF 1-10 CHAINS". Songs will get between 1 and 10 chains. 1 chain means it's absolute trash, 10 chains means it's a straight banger and basically heaven in a song. 

VOCABULARY I USE A LOT IN THIS: 
bop/bopper: a song that makes you bop your head. very good.
banger: a song that makes you bang your head. very good.
vibes: the general feel of a song/person/album as a whole.

First, I'm going to listen to Purpose by Justin Bieber. Track by track. Starting with the first song, Mark My Words, and listening to it straight through. Let's do this.

1. Mark My Words
first thoughts: ok yes sing it Justin. Simple. I already love this album so much because I really feel like Justin is letting his vocals speak for themselves. This is his comeback album - the one where he needs to prove that he deserves everything he has. And letting his vocals be the main focus of this new album, taking a step back from all the techno and heavy beats that was on Journals was genius. He is TALENTED and I am so excited for the rest of his album
favorite line/part: "Mark my words, that's all that I have." yo.
overall reaction: Perfect opening track for his album. Simple, leaves you excited to hear the rest of the album. Maybe a little too simple, but that's what the intro/first song should be. Leaves you wanting more. 
rating: 4/10 chains

2. I'll Show You
first thoughts: Okay so I heard this one last week when it was released early as a promotional single. I love it. I feel like Justin Bieber is really just owning the fact that he kind of sucked for a while and now he's trying to make a comeback. And it's really working for him.
favorite line/part: the whole chorus, and the harmonized "I'll show yooooouuu". Like I said before, he's letting his vocals do the talking. The vibe that he's going with in the simple, acoustic techno is really perfect for his new sound. He's been working with some BOMB producers. love it. 
overall reaction: Well, I cried the first time I heard this. He's being so honest and VULNERABLE. That makes for a great album. Props to JBiebz. 
rating: 6/10 chains

3. What Do You Mean?
first thoughts: SO FRICKIN CATCHY. This is the song that when it starts you're like "oh yep here we go" and then all of a sudden it's 3 days laters and you're still dancing to it because you just got lost in the moment cause it's SO CATCHY.
favorite line/part: "I wanna knoOOOOOOW" (2:34)
overall reaction: It's great. so catchy (can I use that word anymore? C'mon gabs find a thesaurus), really encompasses his new sound as a whole. The perfect song to have as the first single.
rating: 7/10 chains

4. Sorry
first thoughts: Am I the only one that's like HEY SELENA, THIS SONG IS FOR YOU. Because it totally is. And dang it Selena, just let the poor boy apologize and make it up to you.
favorite line/part: ALL OF IT
overall reaction: this song makes me wish I had an ex-bf that kind of did me wrong so he could sing this to me and I could forgive him as it played in the background of the movie that is my life. 
rating: 7/10 chains

5. Love Yourself
first thoughts: kay to be honest I didn't like this song at first but then after listening to it a couple more times, it totally grew on me. 
favorite line/part: "my momma don't like you and she likes everyone" like there's no way you listened to that and DIDN'T go "oh shiz". Also the sax solo for the bridge. SO UNEXPECTED BUT SO RIGHT.
overall reaction: a chill bopper that you can jam to with your girls but also listen to after a breakup when you're pissed at your ex for using you and being a jerk. Also, perfect for subtweets. Justin pulled a Taylor Swift with this one and I LOVE IT.
rating: 8/10 chains

6. Company
first thoughts: kay this officially begins the songs that I haven't heard yet. So the real reviewing begins now. Justin sounds like 13 year old Justin that I listened to and obsessed over while in 8th grade and I love it. Especially because 13 year old Justin is singing about grown up stuff now. 
favorite line/part: 45 seconds in, that pre-chorus tho. 
overall reaction: not a total banger, definitely more relaxed. One of the filler songs on the album, for sure. It will make a great addition to my study playlist. Kind of scandalous because he's literally singing about a one night stand but hey, he makes a one night stand sound kind of tempting. (just kidding mom)
rating: 5/10 chains

7. No Pressure (ft. Big Sean)
first thoughts: Before I actually review this, I feel like it must be stated that I LOVE BIG SEAN. Like.....so much. And any Justin Bieber/Big Sean collabs are instantly bangers to me. So hopefully this lives up to my hype. Ok pressing play..... first thoughts. This is weird but I'm into it for sure. Different than Memphis (their last collab) but I like it. 2 mins in.....big sean where u at. This is very r&b feels, which I looooove. I'm into it.
favorite line/part: all of Big Sean's rap. Justin's part is good but like....I feel like I've heard it a thousand other times on this album. Kind of dragging here tbh :/
overall reaction: This kind of just sounds like all the other songs on this album. But at the same time, it's catchy and the Big Sean verse was way good (obvi my boy Sean DELIVERS). Another simpler song that will probably be added to my homework playlist and forgotten about. Sorry biebz. 
rating: 6/10 chains

8. No Sense (ft. Travis Scott)
first thoughts:  okay this just sounds like a Travis Scott song. He definitely added his vibe to this. Sounds more like a Travis Scott song ft. Justin Bieber, rather than the other way around, which I don't really mind. 
favorite line/part:  Justin's mad falsetto in the chorus, and the BEAT CHANGE after the chorus. That was dope, definitely added a couple chains to this song for me. 
overall reaction: this sounds like something that would be on soundcloud and people would be like "yoooooo you heard this dope new song?? it's not on Spotify" and then I would get mad because I can't add it to my spotify playlists. I like it. Travis Scott really does it for me, anything he touches is gold. 
rating: 6/10 chains 

9. The Feeling (ft. Halsey)
first thoughts: I love Halsey and am excited to hear how their voices mesh together. Different sounds, but I like the intro so far. Okay Justin started singing and I love what's happening. 
favorite line/part:  the whole chorus is a BOP. Love it. Especially at 3:07, the different beat drop.
overall reaction:  Favorite song on the album, hands down. Halsey really adds a special something to this track and I can only hope that they collab again in the future. Is it bad that I want every person at BYU to listen to this, especially for the line "Am I in love with you or am I in love with the feeling" bc no way you're in love with the boy you met last week SORRY NOT HOW THAT WORKS OUT okay sorry I'm done back to the review this song is fantastic. Sounds different than any other song on the album, and I really liked the change of pace. 
rating: 9/10 chains

10. Life Is Worth Living
first thoughts:  This song hasn't started yet but somehow I feel like I'm gonna cry while listening to it? The piano is a good sign. Justin with a piano can do no wrong (Pray, anyone??)
favorite line/part: Yo. All of this is my favorite. Play this at my funeral (that would be kind of ironic hahahaha actually do it please) 
overall reaction: I cried and I don't even know why it was just so beautiful. The piano and his beautiful voice and the message. LIVE ANOTHER DAY. People make mistakes. Life is worth living again. JUSTIN YOUR COMEBACK IS HERE. Simple, beautiful, just overall amazing.
rating: 7/10 chains

11. Where Are Ü Now?
first thoughts:  Okay, we all know this one already. All I have to say is that I'm really glad I'm not Selena Gomez having to listen to these songs knowing they're about me. Dang. Just forgive him already!!!
favorite line/part: the dolphin screech at the chorus is catchy as frick and don't even lie and pretend you haven't tried to recreate the sound at some point in the past couple weeks. 
overall reaction: total bop, will be remembered as the song of Justin's comeback. Some would argue that the repetitiveness is annoying, but I think it's perfect. Gets in your head and stays there for days and days and days.
rating: 7/10 chains  

12. Children
first thoughts:  really really liking this one. It's different. I feel like Jaden Smith would really like this? Also @KanyeWest "LISTEN TO THE KIDS, MAN. LISTEN TO THE KIDS."
favorite line/part: all of it all of it all of it.
overall reaction:  SPEAK FOR OUR GENERATION, JUSTIN. SPEAK FOR US. WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN? WHAT ABOUT OUR GENERATION? WHO'S GONNA BE THE ONE TO FIGHT FOR IT? WE'RE THE INSPIRATION. DO YOU BELIEVE IN IT ENOUGH TO FIGHT FOR IT? This is the anthem that we didn't know we needed nor do we deserve. I love it. Totally bop.
rating: 8/10 chains

13. Purpose
first thoughts: Justin and the piano again? My heart can't handle this. (2:40) OKAY JUSTIN'S FRICKIN SOLILOQUY?? Really can't handle this right now. Feeling really really weak. Send help or cookies.
favorite line/part:  "You give me purpose" so yeah probably need to dance to this at my wedding? Yep. It's happening.
overall reaction:  As the album namesake, this song is GOOD. Once again, you can just feel his vulnerability and it's overwhelming. You FEEL for ya boy Justin. This song is deep AF and I really can't handle it. 
rating: 6/10 chains  

14. Been You
first thoughts:  more upbeat than the past few songs. Good pickup after Purpose for sure. Enjoying the summer-y vibe of this a lot. Reminds me of Beauty & A Beat era. I like it.
favorite line/part: the obvious pop feel of the chorus.
overall reaction:  Reminds me of the classic teenage boy Justin Bieber vibe, Beauty & A Beat era. I like it.. It's a mini throwback to when he was stealing girls hearts as a 14 year old. This will at some point be all over the radio, I guarantee it.  
rating: 6/10 chains

15. Get Used To It
first thoughts:  this is kind of psychedelic? Or I might just be way tired. Either way I think I like it.
favorite line/part:  funky chorus techno thing
overall reaction: Good addition to the album. Not outstanding, but still makes you want to dance. Feeling pretty "meh" about this though.
rating: 5/10 chains  
  
16. We Are (ft. Nas)
first thoughts:  Catchy. His vocals are bomb in this. Justin could sing a song about a huge dump he just took and it would still sound magical.
favorite line/part:  Nas is good in this. I think his voice goes with Justin's really well. Definitely added something extra to this song. 
overall reaction:  Another song that I probably won't skip, but probably won't be adding to my queue anytime soon. **After listening to this one more time, I take that back. It's already grown on me. Adding one chain right now, it went from 5 to 6**
rating: 6/10 chains

17. Trust
first thoughts: this is giving me like early 2000s r&b hip hop vibes and I am LOVING it. Really feeling this one.
favorite line/part:  The jazzy piano riffs are everything
overall reaction:  I like how this song sounded different from the other songs. You can tell it apart, it has its own unique sound. 
rating: 7/10 chains  
   
18. All In It
first thoughts: this feels like the Justin Bieber Christmas album. So festive. 
favorite line/part:  did he say Water Runs Dry? As in Boyz II Men Water Runs Dry? Definitely my favorite line.
overall reaction: Are we sure this wasn't supposed to be put on the Christmas album instead? I feel like there should be sleigh bells in the background during the chorus and that I need to be cuddled up next to the fire with my boo drinking some hot chocolate. Meh. It's a little more cheesy than the other songs. We needed at least one really cheesy Justin Bieber song, so I'm really glad they didn't forget it. Didn't really enjoy this JB soliloquy, although heartfelt and vulnerable, it felt out of place and kind of awkward. That ruined it for me.
rating: 3/10

19. What Do You Mean REMIX (ft. Ariana Grande)
first thoughts: WAY EXCITED FOR THIS. Ariana is amazing, and it's about dang time her & JB collab, even if it is just a remix.  
favorite line/part:  OBVIOUSLY WHEN ARIANA CAME IN. Her voice is so perfect for this song I am seriously crying right now THOSE HARMONIES.
overall reaction:  Didn't think this song could get any better but then Ariana comes along and riffs her way right into my heart. JB+ARI 4EVER. 
rating: 9/10 chains  


Okay, I'm taking a short 10 minutes break to finish up the work email that I started writing two hours ago and still haven't finished because #purpose BUT then I will begin listening to Made in the AM and we will do this same process but for 1D. CAN'T WAIT. 

1. Hey Angel
first thoughts: so sweet of them to write a song about me. This whole beginning intro reminds me of the song Feeling A Moment by Feeder (good song, I recommend it). Kind of slow, but I think that's the vibe they're going for now? I'm into it. 
favorite line/part: The oooooh's are giving me LIFE right now. Love it. 
overall reaction:  Good first song, once again. It's seriously giving me such early-2000 soft indie alternative vibes, which obviously I am all about.  
rating: 5/10 chains

2. Drag Me Down
first thoughts: this song came out a while ago so we all know and love this song with all our hearts. Still, for reviews sake, I will review.
favorite line/part: The claps to build up to the chorus, the syncopation, the repetitive lyrics that make you want to sing along even more, anytime Harry Styles decides to grace the world with his beautiful husky voice (ESPECIALLY THOSE RIFFS AT THE END? Like seriously how dare he), literally every single part of this song.
overall reaction: THIS SONG IS A STRAIGHT BANGER. Honestly this gave me hope for the rest of the album. I don't know how else to say it, this song goes hard and I'm obsessed with it and have nothing else to say.
rating: 9/10 chains

3. Perfect
first thoughts:  we already know that I'm so obsessed with this song. OBVIOUSLY IT'S ABOUT TAYLOR SWIFT. It's so catchy and like duh of course I'm going to sing along as loud as I can because there's no other way to listen to this.
favorite line/part:  "IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO WRITE YOUR BREAKUP SONGS ABOUT, BABY I'M PERFECT" @taylorswift13 hello sorry we have a song written DIRECTLY TO YOU. Also whenever Harry Styles sings the word "rendezvous", my heart leaps into my throat. It seriously needs to be illegal for him to exist. Also after the bridge when most of the instruments go out and it's just Harry singing.....be still my soul.
overall reaction: EXACTLY WHAT I WAS HOPING FOR WHEN THIS ALBUM CAME OUT. Serves us some good boy-band vibes but also a more grown up sound. Like a grown up boyband. Whatever. It's absolutely perfect. Hehe see what I did there cause it's called perfect and I said it was perfect
rating: 9/10 chains

4. Infinity
first thoughts:  this song was released as a promo single so I've listened to it about a thousand times already. It's a great song for driving around at night just thinking bout stuff. 
favorite line/part:  "when everybody wants you....." I relate to this line a lot because like everyone wants me too so it just really speaks to me I guess
overall reaction: but for real.... this song gets mad real. The lyrics got me thinking about the boy I had a crush on in 8th grade that moved before I got to tell him that I liked him. Like.....I wonder how he's been lately, you know? One Direction singing vulnerable songs has me more vulnerable than I'd like to admit. No I'm not okay. Send help + cookies (again).
rating: 6/10 chains

5. End of the Day
first thoughts: chill vibes, makes me happy. I can't stop smiling. 
favorite line/part: all of them singing in the chorus just makes me so happy cause they're so cute and a boyband and all singing together and when they tour in 2017 and perform this song I'll probably be crying happy tears all over the place, whatever.
overall reaction: Doesn't sound like any of their other stuff, but I'm really into it. They're definitely taking a huge step away from the classic boyband style, and I thought I would hate it, but I'm kind of supporting it. Also those high notes at the end, obviously they're doing just fine without Zayn.
rating: 7/10 chains
   
6. If I Could Fly
first thoughts: okay simple piano and Harry Styles singing, those aren't tears in my eyes that's just a twig or like a branch or something. frick this song. I'm too emotional for this. But I love it. Way too much.
favorite line/part: When Harry sings "I hope you don't run from me" and all the other instruments/voices cut out. FRICK.
overall reaction: Definitely adding this to my wedding playlist. This is making me so happy-sad. I'm genuinely shaking right now because this is so beautiful and simple.
rating: 9/10 chains

7. Long Way Down
first thoughts: acoustic guitar, loving it. Seems v chill.
favorite line/part: Harry singing "it's a long way down from here" OK BYE 
overall reaction: This song is chill AF and I love it. Usually I don't like these kinds of songs, especially from 1D (cuz I want those fun pop bangers you know??) but I really do like this.
rating: 6/10 chains
   
8. Never Enough
first thoughts: sounds like "in the jungle...the mighty jungle...the lion sleeps tonight" hahaha I don't think I can take this song seriously. stay tuned.
favorite line/part: THE UNIFIED SCREAM-SINGING "C'MON"
overall reaction: Okay just kidding I think I like it? There's so much happening all at once, I'm very overwhelmed but I'm pretty sure it's in a good way. Yeah, definitely good way. Still overwhelmed though. This song would make for a really good vid on the a capella app. Still not sure how I feel about this. 
rating: 4/10 chains

9. Olivia
first thoughts: why is my name not Olivia? Again, kind of overwhelming because a lot of things are happening but I can't stop smiling so it's all good things. 
favorite line/part: "I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE OLIVIA"
overall reaction: listening to this over and over again until I'm convinced that my name is Olivia. 
rating: 5/10 chains

10. What A Feeling
first thoughts: psychedelic funky vibes, but like an acoustic version of psychedelic funky vibes. into it. Again with the early-2000 soft indie alternative vibes. 
favorite line/part: meh.
overall reaction: once again, not sure I'll ever add it to my queue but won't skip past it if it comes up on shuffle. Got bored halfway through. 
rating: 5/10 chains

11. Love You Goodbye
first thoughts: But why does this remind me of Gotta Be You? Like Liam singing in his cute little soft voice. I'm imagining them all in scarves on a train again. Now I'm crying #TBT 
favorite line/part: Louis's high note at the bridge and then Harry's low haunting voice right after. NOT FAIR TO MY HEART. Also the first line "It's inevitable everything that's good comes to an end" because this band is so so good but after this album it's coming to an end and don't look at me I'm so sad :( 
overall reaction: heartbreaking sad I'm so sad and vulnerable and empty inside but also so many emotions are inside of me one direction how do you do this to me all the time it's seriously rude. But for real, this song is one of my favorites. Unexpected, but so good.
rating: 7/10 chains

12. I Want to Write You a Song
first thoughts: I'm already crying??? THIS SONG. Kind of reminds me of that song from Juno, with the simple guitar & melody. I'm all for it. 
favorite line/part: literally all of it. It gave me that happy feeling inside my heart, I can't stop smiling it's so perfect. Niall's last little verse though definitely stands out as my favorite. It's so good.
overall reaction: Yet another song that has been added to my wedding playlist. IT'S SO SIMPLE AND PRECIOUS. I wanna cuddle while listening to this. Hey future husband, sorry but you're gonna have to learn this on guitar and sing it to me every night before we go to bed. THX. Love this so much. I'm still crying. Lol help. 
rating: 10/10 chains (THE FIRST AND ONLY PERFECT SCORE)
   
13. History
first thoughts: JACK JOHNSON + JOHN MAYER VIBES. All for it. Hoping that this is the vibe that Niall goes with for his solo projects. 
favorite line/part: Anytime all 4 of them sing all together, I die a little inside. So, the whole chorus. 
overall reaction: I'm really loving this album as a whole so far, I feel like each song has its own individual vibe. Like each song is distinctly its own, which I really love. 
rating: 6/10 chains

14. Temporary Fix
first thoughts: THIS IS GIVING ME MIDNIGHT MEMORIES VIBES UP THE WAZOO!!!! I love it. I love it. I love it. 
favorite line/part: "I'll be your temporary fix" that part for sure when they just belt it ooohweeeee YES.
overall reaction: This is giving me boyband flashbacks! Love that they included at least a couple songs that are obviously boyband to feed my little fangirl soul.
rating: 8/10 chains
   
15. Walking in the Wind
first thoughts: I'm sorry am I on a beach in Hawaii? I feel relaxed just listening to this. 
favorite line/part: ??? genuinely don't know if I like any of it enough to have a favorite part. It's all very meh to me. Nothing stands out as exceptional.
overall reaction: this really sounds like it should be on the soundtrack for Lilo & Stitch 2. Not sure how much I actually like this. Cool.
rating: 4/10 chains

16. Wolves
first thoughts: once again...chill John Mayer on the beach vibes? The chorus is good though. Didn't think I was gonna like this but I'm into it.
favorite line/part: anytime they go "oooooooooh" 
overall reaction: It's very predictable, which usually I don't like in music but it works for this song. Also love the imagery of Harry Styles and a wolf just hanging out in a very punk rock way. I feel like this song will grow on me, but for now I'm feeling average about it. 
rating: 5/10 chains
   
17. A.M.
first thoughts: "Oh won't you STAAAY WITH MEEEE" fav if you also thought that when it first started. 
favorite line/part: the whole chorus because #harry #styles
overall reaction: love love the simple guitar in this. This song is the perfect capstone to the album. It feels like a farewell though, like this is the last new song they'll ever make together and that makes me so sad but I'm so proud of them. This is getting sappy. Overall, I really enjoyed this album. Like I said, there's a distinct sound to each individual song but they all come together to make a beautifully put together album. 
rating: 6/10 chains


OKAY, if you made it to the end of this I am impressed and give you mad props. Please remember that these are my opinions and please don't hate me if you don't agree with what I had to say. Also I listened to these albums late in the night when I should have been asleep so I'm excited to listen to them again when I truly am awake and not as emotional/vulnerable as I am right now. I just wanna say a huge thank you to One Direction & Justin Bieber for making such amazing albums and putting the time, hard work, and effort in to create quality music for their fans. Love you guys til the end of forever. K bye.

XOXO,
gabs.

I would do a music recommendation like I usually do, but that doesn't really make sense seeing as how I just recommended like 3 hours of music for y'all to listen to. Go listen to both albums, and let me know which ones are your favorites! 

Oh, and don't forget -- follow me on the socials. We can chat about music on here.


No comments:

Post a Comment