Wednesday, December 2, 2015

A MN GIRL'S GUIDE TO SURVIVING WINTER | BLOGMAS DAY 2

Okay guys I just have to write this because guess what's been happening recently? Snow. And everyone and their MOM has been complaining about it. And I'm just confused because like.... it's winter..... this is what happens in the winter.......... why is this causing such an uproar?! I love winter. I THRIVE in the winter months. This is my best time of year. The sun is only out for like 6 hours a day, it's acceptable to wear blankets as clothing, and people don't judge you if you stay inside all the time. Because of this, I decided that for #GabbyDoesBlogmas day 2, I will share with you all my top tips n tricks to surviving the winter season. Because it really is the best time of year, and anyone that doesn't think so is weak and natural selection will come for them soon.

TIP #1: BUILD UP YOUR IMMUNITY TO THE COLD
Don't you DARE pull out your warmest jacket as soon as it hits 40 degrees. That is potentially the dumbest thing you could ever do. You gotta build up your immunity to cold!! I, personally, have 3 different levels of cold and a different jacket/coat for each level. You may want to add more levels if you're from like California and think 50 degrees is cold (lol), but personally I have found that 3 different coats gets me through the winter season comfortably. You can always add layers/sweaters/sweatshirts underneath. 
I start with limiting myself in the fall when it first starts getting cold. If it's above 35 degrees then I won't wear a "winter coat". I wear windbreakers, Columbia fleece jackets, or thick sweaters + a denim jacket. ~extra special tip~ I buy my Columbia's in a children's XL because children's sizes run $20-30 cheaper than adult sizes. I understand that not everyone can get away with that, but if you're small definitely make sure to benefit from that! 
My next level of cold is 5-35 degree weather. My jacket for this one is a fur-lined parka. Very warm, very comfy, very fashionable. Your middle level jacket is one that you should splurge on to make sure it's cute, because it's the one you'll be wearing most often through winter. I recommend longer jackets because nothing is worse than a cold bum. It's super comfy, super warm, and there's cheetah print on the inside which is my absolute fav. I got my jacket at Forever 21, and they no longer sell it but they sell similar ones. American Eagle also sells really cute, warm nice ones. Any kind of parka, faux fur coats, or cute ski jackets work great! Just make sure that they keep you warm in addition to being adorable. Also, make SURE they have a hood because nothing is worse than walking around while it's snowing and having your neck/head be exposed. 
Third level, fashion goes to crap. This is the 5 degrees or below weather, where you literally only care about staying warm. Down puffy jackets are the only way to go, my friends. These can get a big pricey, but a good coat will last you a long time! Stick with a solid, basic color, and once again make sure there's a hood on this jacket. I got my down coat at J.C.Penny's on Black Friday on mad sale, and it's lasted me 3 winters. Quality is important here. Also the heat-reflecting coats are bomb & highly recommended.

TIP #2: GET CUTE DURABLE WATER-RESISTANT BOOTS
I'm not talking about the combat boots from target that everyone and their mom owns. No, you need to get waterproof leather boots that are hardcore punk rock weather resistant. I bought a pair of Dr.Martens my junior year of high school and I still wear them all the time. Sorel boots are really awesome for winter boots as well. Please - don't get boots that have a fur lining that puffs out the top because as soon as you wear them in the snow, the fur will start pilling and getting nasty and you will hate your life. Also, UGGS are awesome but same deal, as soon as they get wet they lose their shape and look low quality. Buy some nice leather/rubber boots, and you'll be set for life! These are the docs that I have, and I love the burgundy color. It matches absolutely everything! Also, when you wear docs you are instantly a punk rock diva from the 90s. It's the best.

TIP #3: FUZZY SOCKS ARE NOT YOUR BEST FRIEND
Everyone always gets so excited for winter because fuzzy socks and cozy blankets etc etc and I have to admit, I love me some nice fuzzy articles of clothing BUT, wearing fuzzy socks out of your house is dumb AF and here's why. When you wear fuzzy socks with nice warm boots, your feet are warm at first and it's awesome but then soon you'll start to realize that your feet are sweating and BAM for the rest of the day you're stuck with sweaty-but-still-kinda-chilly feet. Fuzzy socks trap heat and absorb the sweat and cold also so it's basically your feet's own personal hell. What you need to do instead is wear either wool socks (not super thick ones, cause that causes the same problems as fuzzy socks), or just thicker normal socks. Target has some really nice thin wool socks that I recommend stocking up on. Also, Nike elites are absolute bomb for wearing with boots. Perfect amount of warmth. And by all means, wear fuzzy socks around your house 24/7! But if you're serious about staying warm outside, don't wear them with your boots. Trust me on this.

There you have it, my top 3 tricks on staying warm in winter! Hope you enjoyed, and I hope you all can stay warm this winter. And honestly, the biggest tip/trick/winter life hack is just to stay inside. Cozy up by the fire with your favorite book or netflix series on the TV and enjoy the laziness of winter! 


Love y'all, talk to you tomorrow!


XOXO,
gabs. 




CHRISTMAS SONG OF THE DAY: 
Jingle Bell Rock / George Strait
My mom LOOOOVES George Straight, so his Christmas album was a staple in our house during the holiday season. Jingle Bell Rock was my favorite, my sisters & I would choreograph dances to it and put on shows for our parents. You can't beat that, folks. Country twang with a Christmas song. What a tune.

1 comment: