Tuesday, December 1, 2015

TOP 10 BEST CHRISTMAS SONGS aka BLOGMAS DAY 1

Hi friends. Merry almost Christmas! As a way to keep my holiday cheer strong and my brain away from the depths of despair aka school pressures & the upcoming doom of finals week, I decided I'm going to blog every single day this glorious month of December. HAPPY BLOGMAS!

(new header for this blog cause we festive AF here)

Each day of blogmas I'll be covering a different topic. Whether it's a gift guide for your friends, a list of my favorite (fill in the blank here), a book/movie/album review, or just a stream of consciousness, I am dedicated to writing on this cute lil blog of mine everyday all month! And hopefully this will kickstart my new years resolution of actually paying attention to this site and writing more often than once every couple months.

If there is any specific topic you guys want me to dedicate a post to, let me know!! You can either contact me through my email (gabby.heroux@gmail.com), or message me on one of my social media profiles (twitter, insta, FB)! I want this to be a fun month full of content that everyone enjoys, so your input is definitely welcome. Especially since 31 days of posts is kind of daunting and I'm not sure I have enough ideas on my own hahahaha.

Since everyone is trying to get into the Christmas spirit now that it's officially ~DECEMBER~ (best month ever), this post is dedicated to The Greatest Christmas Songs To Ever Be Released, Probably. Like all my other posts, this is a list based on my opinions, and please don't be mad if this isn't how you see it. THX.

10. LAST CHRISTMAS
Not gonna pick a single artist, because this has been covered by everyone and their MOM. It's basically the Hallelujah of Christmas songs. This song is on the list because it's iconic. EVERYONE HAS RECORDED A VERSION FOR A REASON. Some of the most notable covers are (in no particular order): Ariana Grande (very pop synth vibe), Carly Rae Jepsen (also pop synth vibe), Hilary Duff, Glee cast, Taylor Swift, JIMMY EAT WORLD?!, and most importantly, Cascada (recorded for a Dutch children's Christmas album HOW GREAT IS THAT). This song is an absolute Christmas necessity and I have many different versions on my Christmas playlist.

9. Drummer Boy - Justin Bieber
Justin Bieber's entire Mistletoe album instantly becomes the soundtrack to my life once Thanksgiving is over, and for good reason. The album is filled with classics and gems like Drummer Boy. Featuring Busta Rhymes, this isn't your average cover. This song features (maybe sacrilegious) raps, including "I only spit hit cause I'm playin' for the Son/Playin' for the King/playin' for the Title/I'm surprised you didn't hear this in the Bible." Need I say more?

8. Christmas In Harlem - Kanye West
How is this not being played on the radio constantly!? Yeezy's calming voice rapping about egg nog and last minute Christmas shopping is absolutely legendary. Despite Kanye's reputation, it is completely appropriate and will add a nice hip hop vibe to your Christmas playlist this season. The hook by Teyana Taylor will get stuck in your head in the best kind of way. ICONIC.

7. DC Christmas Medley - Destiny's Child
Who doesn't want Beyoncé (and a couple back up singers I guess lol sorry Kelly & Michelle) singing a mashup of every iconic Christmas song?! This one really sets the holiday mood and gets you feeling extra festive. The early 2000 hip hop vibe really adds to the production of the song and makes it a medley to remember.

6. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays - *NSYNC
OKAY but this song is seriously the happiest of all of the Christmas songs. Who doesn't love boybands, specifically a cute baby Justin Timberlake in a boyband singing about Christmas and the feeling it brings?! HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

5. Sleigh Ride - Pentatonix
This song is my personal favorite ~traditional~ Christmas song, and Pentatonix's version is so well done. I love all of the songs on Pentatonix's Christmas album, but this one really stands out as one of the best.

5 (AGAIN). Carol of the Bells - Pentatonix
This one is tied with Sleigh Ride mostly because they're both Pentatonix arrangements and Carol of the Bells goes OFF. Once again, Pentatonix's version is well above average. A little classier than the other songs on this list (lol JB), it gets you into a slightly fancier Christmas spirit than the other songs do.

4. Baby It's Cold Outside - Idina Menzel & Michael Bublé
This song is a classic, despite the fact that it may or may not be about a boy pressuring a girl to stay the night when she obviously does not feel comfortable with the situation (lol love it). I added it to this list mostly to give props to both Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé for being the queen & king of classy Christmas music. The other songs in this playlist may not be acceptable to play at your family's Christmas dinner, but Idina & Michael's Christmas albums are definitely classy Christmas approved. And both of them singing together on this song is an iconic piece of art that will be loved and cherished for years to come.

3. All I Want for Christmas is You - Mariah Carey
OF COURSE THIS SONG IS ON THE LIST. This is the definition of getting into the Christmas spirit. If you don't dance around to this song in your room singing at the top of your lungs trying to hit all the riffs & high notes then you are a GRINCH. Mariah is the QUEEN of Christmas music (Sorry, Idina. You can be the princess of Christmas music instead) and she KNOWS it. I greatly enjoy the version of this song with Justin Bieber, but there's just something about the classic that makes me want to hang up my stocking and bake cookies for Santa.

2. All I Want for Christmas is You (Extra Festive) - Mariah Carey
This ranks higher because it's extra festive....need I say more? Although I can't really tell a huge difference between the two versions, I'm pretty sure the extra festive version has more sleigh bells jingling and a stronger drumline. Either way, it's extra festive and that's all that you need to know.

1. Where Are You Christmas - Faith Hill
Is this even a question?! It is a fact that this song is the greatest Christmas song of all time and I will fight anyone on that. I even wrote a full blogpost about this song last year, because sometimes analyzing a song from a popular children's movie is what you need to do to get through finals week. Read it HERE. But guys I'm not kidding, this song makes me cry every dang time I hear it. An iconic song that we do not appreciate enough.



Hope you enjoyed this list of the 10 best Christmas songs, and please keep in mind that there are many many other songs that I love and enjoy but did not include. That does not mean that I don't like them. Please don't attack me for my opinions kthx! Love you all and hope you have a very festive and happy December!

XOXO,
gabs.


P.S. If you need help getting into the Christmas spirit, here are my two Christmas Spotify playlists. Feel free to follow and message me if you think a song should be added! Turnt Christmas for when you're just tryna ~dance~ and Classy Christmas for when you want to be a normal festive human being. And yes, the first song on both playlists is Where Are You Christmas. IT'S A GREAT SONG OK.





ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment